Wednesday, September 8, 2010

About Me

I believe that we are all a product of our environment, and I believe that it is what makes us all individual. I believe that I am a result of the way I was raised, the events that have occurred in my lifetime, and the people I have encountered along the way.
My name is Bill Dodson. I was born on January 1st, 1990 in Nashville, Tennessee to my Mother, Rebecca Dodson and my father Mike Dodson. I really couldn't tell you a "story" of my life up until around the time I was 14. I remember specific events before then, but I couldn't really put an age to those events or describe them in chronological order.
What I can say about my earlier years of life is this. I idolized my father and loved my mother. I thought my Dad was super man and wanted to be just like him. My mom had chosen to quit work to take care of my younger brother Ben and me. I recall her always coming up with fun daily activities to keep us occupied in the days leading up to grade school, and the afternoons once we were old enough to attend.
I feel like my earlier upbringing will show once I have a child of my own. I believe that I will be a product of my environment in the way that I will be a provider for my family, a loving husband to my wife, and an idol and teacher to my children.
I think I really started to develop as an individual around the age of fourteen. I started making real friends and being let out of my parents constant watch. I started noticing girls. Now that I think about it 2004 was about the time that the cell phone became mainstream, and it was also around the time my parents got me one. So I guess the cell phone had something to do with my development at that age, too. It was easier to contact the people in my life at that time, and with my parents letting me do things on my own I began to get a taste of independence.
When I was fifteen I met my first love, Nickie Lancaster. We dated for around seven months. I had never known such strong feelings of emotion. When she left me it broke my heart, and took another half year or so before I finally forgot over her. But it seems to me like about the time I forgot about her was the time I found two new companions, booze and gasoline. It wasn't a very nice tag team to have, but I'm still here today so I guess things could have been worse.. But I would like to mention that booze and gasoline are still two of my best friends, I just try my best not to hang out with them together.
The last few years of high school were certainly the most life changing/shaping years of my entire life. I met my best friend in the world and the first true love of my life. I got in to a bunch of trouble with Mr. Bud Light, Mom, Dad, and the police. In those same two years I finished high school, got out of trouble with the police, got back on Mom and Dad's good side, and got my heart broken.
In the midsts of all this going on I had gained a fondness for running. Good thing I did, too, because I needed to figure out a way to loose weight. Luckily for me it worked and I dropped forty pounds to about 160, and have kept all but ten pounds off to this day.
Then it was time for college. It was time to say goodbye to Mom, Dad, and the best friend. It was time to start over. I started off college at Middle Tennessee State University where I joined Sigma Chi Fraternity and got through my freshman year with a 3.35, a much higher grade point average than I had expected.
I transfered to the University of Tennessee simply because I came to my senses; I should have come here in the first place.
The point of all this is that I'm a product of my environment. My mother have never been divorced and have taught me through their actions the value of marriage and the importance of a wedding vow. I have had my heart broken several times so I am a little uneasy when it comes to trust, but at the same time I have tasted true love and therefor always have my eyes open for the next time it rolls around. I have a best friend, and due to the fact that he wasn't always around I value friendship. I have been overweight, and I lost it the hard way. I therefor feel empathy for obese individuals but at the same time have a lack of respect for their laziness. I value exercise and music, because those things were there for me along my weight loss journey. Lastly, in the back of my mind I love the Lord. My mother and father brought me up in the way I should go, and although I make so many mistakes every day I know what is right and wrong. I am Bill Dodson and I am a product of my environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment